Becoming a Volunteer
The Polk County School Board has an outstanding volunteer program, with over one million service hours donated by nearly 30,000 volunteers each year. With so many needs to fulfill there is no doubt that we can put you to work helping us to educate our students!
- Volunteer applications can be completed in person at the school of your choice.
- A Florida Department of Law Enforcement background check will be done automatically when we receive your application. Volunteer approval takes about two weeks.
- Call your school to receive an orientation and start volunteering!
Click HERE for more information.
How You Can Help!
The Polk Education Foundation has several ways for an individual to help with the many programs they offer. Here is a list of some of the ways you can help.
- Donate To: Programs, Events, Scholarships
- Volunteer: AmeriCorps Polk Reads or Take Stock In Children
- Support through Sponsorship
Mentors – Youth Motivators and Take Stock in Children
The Youth Motivator program brings together positive role models from the community and students who can benefit from one-on-one attention. Students are selected by teachers and guidance counselors. Parents sign a permission form for participation in the program. Students and mentors meet, usually once a week, to work together to improve grades, set goals for improved attendance and behavior or focus on career interests.
Take Stock in Children
Take Stock in Children is an award-winning program that provides scholarships, mentors, and hope for a better future to Florida’s most deserving low-income, at-risk children. A public-private partnership, this school-based mentoring organization has positively affected the lives of more than 11,000 children since 1995.
AmeriCorps Polk Reads
AmeriCorps Polk Reads is a grant-funded reading tutoring program in Polk County, Florida. Members provide reading tutoring to more than 425 K-3 students each year while working collaboratively with community agencies to strengthen community ties.