iMoms and All Pro Dads
Family is important at Sandhill Elementary. The first line of the Sandhill Pledge reads, "I am a member of the Sandhill Family." We want our moms and dads to believe this statement as well. That's why we have our Moms and Kids at School and Dads and Kids at School programs each month. Moms meet on the first Friday of the month and Dads meet on the last Friday of each month. Both programs begin promptly at 7:15. Due to unforeseen circumstances, Moms and Kids at School for May and June have been cancelled. All Pro Dads will meet one last time this year on Friday, May 27.
Accelerated Reader - Words Read
Accelerated Reader, a program from Renaissance Learning, has been used at Sandhill Elementary since the school opened in the fall of 2000. This program allows teachers to set and track reading goals for their students. This year we have set goals for the number of Words Read per Month. The Goals are:
- Kindergarten: 1,750 words per month
- First Grade: 8,500 words per month
- Second Grade: 34,000 words per month
- Third Grade: 60,000 words per month
- Fourth Grade: 60,000 words per month
- Fifth Grade: 60,000 words per month
BoxTops for EducationUPDATE: This year's collection total is $965.00 with approximately $300 worth of BoxTops still to submit. The BTFE (BoxTops for Education) program deadlines for submissions are November 1 and March 1. That means the $300 that we send in now will be counted toward next year's total on the BTFE website: www.boxtops4eductaion.com. Parents are encouraged to go to this website, sign up for an account and choose Sandhill Elementary as the school they are supporting. Some of the money collected is always returned to the teachers whose classrooms turn in BoxTops. This year, each teacher who has turned in BoxTops will receive 20% of their total to spend on supplies for their classroom! The remaining 80% is being set aside for the purchase of Robotics Kits for next school year. These kits will benefit all classrooms at Sandhill Elementary. Please help us by clipping and turning in BoxTops for Education. Please attach your BoxTops to one of the collection sheets below and return them to your child's teacher. Thank you for helping Sandhill Elementary School by supporting our BoxTops for Education program!
Student NutritionInformation regarding the cost of school meals, special dietary needs and an online service to pay for your child's meals can be found on the District website for Student Nutrition
Sunshine State Young Reader Award Book FestivalCongratulation to Mrs. Jennifer Glasgow, Reading Coach and Mrs. Lynda Nissen, Media Specialist, along with the following students who won one Blue Ribbon and two Red Ribbons at the SSYRA Book Festival in Bartow on Tuesday, May 10th. In order to be eligible to attend, each student had to read 15 of the SSYRA books. Additionally, as a group, they created a game depicting one of the books and made a visual project that was based on one of the books. Thanks for making Sandhill shine!!
Butterfly GardenMrs. Torres and Mrs. Hunter's second grade classes were busy this past Friday cleaning out the planting beds in our Butterfly Garden.
Parent PortalThe MyPolkSchools Parent Portal allows parents to check current grades, obtain immunization status, learn if their child had any recorded discipline or attendance issues throughout the day, check their child's current lunch account balance, and even see what their child purchased in the lunchroom. Click HERE to learn more.
Attendance Winners for AprilAttendance is an important factor in attaining a good education. We truly appreciate that our Sandhill parents make this a priority for their families. The following classes had the best attendance for the month of April:
- Kindergarten: Mrs. Sheplock
- First Grade: Mrs. Vasquez
- Second Grade: Mrs. Bhoj
- Third Grade: Mrs. Carter
- Fourth Grade: Mrs. Richards
- Fifth Grade: Mr. Glasgow